Did Altec only use a 5 digit code on their woofer cones? I've seen 5 digit codes with a dash like this 21184-2. Is a 6 digit code an original cone- 502 308? Thx.
Did Altec only use a 5 digit code on their woofer cones? I've seen 5 digit codes with a dash like this 21184-2. Is a 6 digit code an original cone- 502 308? Thx.

I've only seen the 6 digit codes on the more recent 416's,515's etc... More recent I mean like late 60's70's,80's. The 5 digit codes on all the older woofers and drivers like the 604 from the 50's early 60's... There is a lot of variation however with anything that Altec did.

They don't look like Altec cone numbers to me. Altecs didn't have 3 numbers then a space and then 3 numbers again. They were either the 5 digits or the 5 digits with the -number.The recone looks like a decent job but I can't vouch for the cone itself..I have no idea who made that cone.Maybe OG might..

Just to expand on AB's points...EV/Telex did revamp cone numbers. I haven't seen my sheets in years, honestly can't tell you how those ran. I can guarantee that cone not original.
A cross reference of old Altec to EV era and GPA parts would make a great sticky.
Your neighbors called. They like your music.
I have a hard-copy of that document and I posted a copy to this forum in the past(file lost due to computer problems). It may have originally come from Magnarc but I cannot be sure.
Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.
This is a sample of EV part numbers. No cross reference but you can get an idea of the numbering system. The ones in the box are for a 515G that I had.
I would also say that is not an original Altec 803A cone.
I'd also bet its a redone from quite a while back, not many people I'm aware of making cones with that surround now. It was all the 21184-x series for 803A-B/416 recones from say event the 1960s.
Certainly I'd wager that the EV part numbers/kits were at least from the 90s and onwards, and by then that type surround was long gone.
Bookmarks